Who is Growing Old Gracefully?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Margaret Manning, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Margaret Manning

Margaret Manning Sixty and Me Staff Member

Hands up if you think there is a better word?
    What 'ly' word would you use to describe how you are 'aging' :)
    I am going with positively !! :)
    Viirukatti and Peny like this.
  2. Spanishlady

Spanishlady Diamond Diva

Not me ,,,,,,gleefully

Attached Files:

3. Peny

Peny Diamond Diva

You look lovely in green, seƱora!
    Affinity and Spanishlady like this.
  4. Spanishlady

Spanishlady Diamond Diva

Gracias Peny
  5. Andie

Andie Diamond Diva

hmmm, I'm still stuck on the word 'old' you have in the title -I've replaced it with the word 'older'
    when I think of old - I think 100 these days!
    As for the ly words - gratefully, gracefully, happily, laughingly - ok not a word - how about humorously, wittily,
  6. Karen65

Karen65 Diamond Diva

Old? isn't this site called Sixty and me? hardly old these days. Ageing starts the day we're born. The old markers of 65 being the beginning of the end don't apply anymore.. way too many active and dynamic people breaking down the stereotypes. Not to mention that we have many more resources available to us now to access info about good nutrition, exercise, proactive necessities to not so much delay the ageing process but increase our quality of life thruout our lifetime.. So no, I don't really ever use that phrase. As far as gracefuly, that's for others to label me. I just get up every day and try to keep improving my life.
    Affinity, Bianca, Peny and 5 others like this.
  7. abbie

abbie Diamond Diva

You put it so well, with a 25 year old son who persists with this 'old' label as they say here in Yorkshire 'He knows nowt!!'
    Affinity, victoria and Peny like this.
  8. Viirukatti

Viirukatti Diamond Diva

I think I am not old my body is but I am young inside. Before our time even the 50 years old were old. It was comon to by a walking stick to birthday present and the stick had a silver handle.
    Curiously is the word that is the right word because I am curious what comes to life and all the good what is coming in the future,( also bad)
    Affinity and Peny like this.
  9. Osraige

Osraige Diamond Diva

I think we are ageing adaptability. I have just bought a new laptop with windows 8.1 and Microsoft Office 365. While I was struggling with this new technology i got to thinking how our generation have adapted to new ideas. We began with an upright manual typewriter that weighed a ton and used carbon paper to copy the document we were typing. Then we used the electric typewriter and then there was an electric computerised typewriter. Along came word perfect and we had to learn the commands off by heart. We used DOS on computers and had to learn commands. Along came Bill Gates with his Windows and we had to adapt once again. We have had to adapt to various versions of Windows. On the way we have learned how to use mobile phones, iPods, Tablets Smart phones etc. We have embraced and adapted to all that new technology for the past decades so I think we are ageing adaptability.
    Affinity, abbie, Peny and 2 others like this.
  10. Spanishlady

Spanishlady Diamond Diva

Peny likes this.
  11. Karen65

Karen65 Diamond Diva

So true! I have done all of those.. I was always fascinated by playing "office when I was a kid. my uncle gave a manual typewriter when I was about 10. Then after failed college (teaching) took the useful secretarial skills course, touch typing and did that whole scene, yes CC in triplicate.. always hated that kind of work but it can pay the bills. I find that if you don't get stressed over it, most tech things are pretty easy now. Got an iphone and would love a Mac laptop loathe windows personally.
    Margaret Manning, Peny and Viirukatti like this.
  12. Andie

Andie Diamond Diva

and cameras - look how far cameras have come -
    remember what they were like back in the 50s
    and music 78, 45, 8 track, cd, and movies
    and on and on. it must have been something for our parents and grandparents
  13. Osraige

Osraige Diamond Diva

I was tempted to go for a Mac the other day as I did not want to use the new windows programme. All academics use the Mac.
    Peny and Karen65 like this.
  14. victoria

victoria Diamond Diva

I'm going old grudgingly as the flipping body just won't keep up....Lol:):)
  15. Osraige

Osraige Diamond Diva

Is your bike going too fast??? Heard the other day why the body slows down as we age. A scientist told me it was because the body does not make as much cortisone as it did so it is not being replaced in the body. Maybe it is just as well. Cannot have the over 60s behaving like teenagers
  16. Osraige

Osraige Diamond Diva

I still have a box camera in the attic
    Affinity, Peny and Andie like this.
  17. Karen65

Karen65 Diamond Diva

I kept a lot of my favourite vinyl LP's, mostly from the 60's and early 70's.. got a portable record player from Restoration Hardware.. Once in awhile I like to get them out and enjoy a nostalgic Sat am sitting upstairs with my coffee, listening to that special slightly scratchy sound of a needle moving over a vinyl record.
  18. Osraige

Osraige Diamond Diva

I still have mine also as well as a record player
  19. Claudia

Claudia Diamond Diva

For me it would be ageing vibrantly!
  20. Viirukatti

Viirukatti Diamond Diva

I have also saved those old vinyl Lp's and we bought from net new record player wich was made old looking. We got one extra needle with it. I had not listened them for years and now do it from time to time. Tomorrow when there is more light I will take a picture from it and show it here.