Homemade Skin Care Recipes that Actually Work
Taking care of our skin as we get older is one of the most visible ways for women over 60 to keep looking healthy and vibrant. But how do you know the “right way” to take care of your skin without wasting money on chemical potions that might leave your skin dry and irritated?
Here are a few ideas for homemade skin care recipes that you can easily make with simple ingredients:
Oatmeal and Onion Face Mask
This face mask is made to help clear clogged pores and heal acne scars. If you’re suffering from the dreaded “adult acne,” this face mask might work well for you.
- Boil 1 ounce of pure mineral water and steep 3 tablespoons of Oatmeal in it for 5 minutes.
- Grind a medium onion in a food processor to make a smooth puree. Add the onion puree to the warm oatmeal.
- Add honey or green clay to thicken the mask (if needed so it stays in place on your face.
Recipe Source: The Daily Green
Honey Face Masks
Honey is a versatile ingredient in skin care face masks, because it has antibacterial properties, and its sticky nature makes it ideal for sticking to your skin.
Here are a few honey face mask recipes, depending your skin’s unique needs:
Honey Face Mask for Dry Skin
Mix 1 teaspoon of mashed avocado, 1 teaspoon of plain whole milk yogurt, and 1 teaspoon of raw honey. Spread the mix onto your face and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. This skin treatment is ideal for dry skin because it is full of fat from the avocado and yogurt.
Honey Face Mask for Sensitive Skin
Mix 2 teaspoons of raw honey with 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel and let it sit on your face for 10-20 minutes. Anyone who’s used aloe vera after getting sunburned knows that it is wonderful for cooling and soothing inflammation, and it works the same way here to make your skin feel smooth and calm.
Recipe Source: The Nourished Life
Egg White Face Mask
This face mask is easy to make with ingredients that you already have at home, and it doesn’t hurt when you peel it off.
You need: 1 egg, a teaspoon of olive oil and 1 facial tissue (Kleenex).
- Crack open the egg and save the egg whites. (Rock the egg back and forth gently between your cupped hands while letting the white slip between your fingers, keeping the yolk separate.)
- Mix the egg white and olive oil together in a bowl.
- Rub the egg white/olive oil mix on your face.
- Put the facial tissue onto your face, letting it stick to the egg/oil mixture.
- After pressing the tissue over your face so it is securely in place, add another layer of the egg white/oil mixture on top.
- Let it dry and sit on your face for 20-25 minutes, then peel it off and rinse your face.
This face mask helps moisturize your skin, doesn’t irritate your skin, and cleans your pores by lifting out dirt with the sticky mixture and the thin facial tissue.
Recipe Source: Examiner.com
What are your favorite skin treatments and face mask recipes? Let us know in the comments!