Maine Aging Statistics & Resource Guide
The Maine Aging Statistics & Resource Guide contains key information, links and statistics for senior citizens in Maine. With an aging population and the average cost of care averaging between $26.84 an hour for home care to $10,494 a month for skilled nursing care, Maine is typically more expensive than the national average. This guide also contains helpful contact information for county offices, Alzheimer’s Disease organizations and government agencies that offer assistance to caregivers and senior citizens.
Maine Key Statistics
- 28.7% of the Maine population is aged 60 or over with 13.8% of seniors aged 65+ living alone.
- With no social security benefit tax and a flat rate sales tax of 5.5%, Maine offers a mixed tax picture for retirees, with the highest income tax set at 7.15% and an average property tax set at $1,424 per $100,000 in home value.
- 59.3% of certified nursing home beds were rated four or five-stars over a three-month period compared to a US national average of 47.3%.
- The median household income for a Maine senior (65+) is $39,377.
- 29,000 people aged 65 and older are living with Alzheimer’s in Maine.
Choosing Long Term Care in Maine
- Maine Home Care Agencies Directory: The average hourly home care rate in Maine is $26.84, making Maine more expensive than the national average ($22.50) for home care.
- Maine Adult Day Care Directory: The average cost of adult day care in Maine is $2,513 per month making Maine more expensive than the national average ($1,625) for adult day care.
- Maine Assisted Living Directory: The average cost of assisted living in Maine is $5,169 per month making Maine more expensive than the national average ($4,051) for assisted living.
- Maine Skilled Nursing Directory: The average cost of skilled nursing in Maine is $10,494 per month making Maine more expensive than the national average ($8,517) for skilled nursing.
Maine Senior Services
State of Maine – Office of Aging & Disability Services
Address: 11 State House Station, 41 Anthony Avenue, Augusta, ME 04333
Phone: (207) 287-9200
Phone: (800) 262-2232
Fax: (207) 287-9229
TTY: Maine Relay Services 711
Maine State Plan on Aging
- 2020-2024 Maine State Plan on Aging Needs Assessment Report (PDF)
- Maine State Plan on Aging: 2016 – 2020
Maine Elder Justice and Advocacy
- Adult Protective Services & Guardianship
- Online APS Reporting Form
- Legal Services for the Elderly -Elder Abuse
To report abuse, neglect or exploitation:
Call: 1-800-624-8404 (available 24/7)
TTY In State:Maine Relay 711
TTY Out-of-State (after hours): 207-287-3492
Maine Support for Caregivers
Maine Senior Disaster Preparedness:
Address: 72 State House Station, 45 Commerce Drive, Augusta, Maine 04333
Toll Free: 800-452-8735
TTY: Maine Relay 711
Maine Health Care Fraud
Maine Long-Term Care Ombudsman
Address: 61 Winthrop St., Augusta, ME 04330
Phone: (207) 621-1079
Toll Free: (800) 499-0229
Fax: (207) 621-0509
Maine Medicaid Elderly & Disabled Waiver Programme
Maine Medicare and Insurance Counseling
Maine Elderly Nutrition & Wellness
Maine Prescription Assistance
Maine County Offices for Aging
Aroostook Agency on Aging
Address: 260 Main Street, Suite B, Presque Isle, Maine 04769
Phone: (207) 764-3396
Eastern Area Agency on Aging
Address: 240 State St., Brewer, ME 04412
Phone: (207) 941-2865
Fax: (207) 941-2869
Address: One Weston Court, Suite 109, Augusta, ME 04330
Address: 8 Falcon Road, Lewiston, ME 04240
Southern Maine Agency on Aging
Address: 136 U.S. Route One, Scarborough, ME 04074
National Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- The Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare
- Administration for Community Living
- National Council for Aging Care
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care
- Pioneer Network: Culture Change in Long-Term Care
- The Center for Social Gerontology
Maine Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- State of Maine – Office of Aging & Disability Services
- Maine’s Assistive Technology Program
- Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP)
- Adult Day Services
- Home Care
- Residential and Nursing Care Services
- Maine Health Care Association
Alzheimer’s Organizations & Resources
- Alzheimers Foundation of America
- Alzheimers Association
- Alzheimers Resource Centre
- Alzheimers Association – Maine
- MaineHealth – Alzheimer’s Disease | Dementia
Maine Senior Health Studies
- Maine Scorecard on Long-Term Services and Supports for Older Adults, People with Physical Disabilities, and Family Caregivers
- America’s Health Rankings – Maine