Minnesota Aging Statistics & Resource Guide
The Minnesota Aging Statistics & Resource Guide contains key information, links and statistics for senior citizens in Minnesota. With an aging population, the average cost of care in Minnesota averages between $23.50 an hour for home care to $7,034 a month for skilled nursing care This guide also contains helpful contact information for county offices, Alzheimer’s Disease organisations and government agencies that offer assistance to caregivers and senior citizens.
Minnesota Key Statistics
- 22.2% of the Minnesota population is aged 60 or over with 11.1% of seniors aged 65+ living alone.
- With social security benefits and pensions taxed, it is one of the least tax friendly states for retirees, with the highest income tax set at 9.58% and an average property tax set at $1,224 per $100,000 in home value3.
- 61.9% of certified nursing home beds were rated four or five-stars over a three-month period compared to a US national average of 47.3%.
- The median household income for a Minnesota senior (65+) is $45,519.
- 99,000 people aged 65 and older are living with Alzheimer’s in Minnesota.
Choosing Long Term Care in Minnesota
- Minnesota Home Care Agencies Directory: The average hourly home care rate in Minnesota is $23.50, making Minnesota more expensive than the national average ($22.50) for home care.
- Minnesota Adult Day Care Directory: The average cost of adult day care in Minnesota is $1,689 per month making Minnesota more expensive than the national average ($1,625) for adult day care.
- Minnesota Assisted Living Directory: The average cost of assisted living in Minnesota is $3,468 per month making Minnesota less expensive than the national average ($4,051) for assisted living.
- Minnesota Skilled Nursing Directory: The average cost of skilled nursing in Minnesota is $7,034 per month making Minnesota less expensive than the national average ($8,517) for skilled nursing.
Minnesota Senior Services
Minnesota Department of Human Services
Address: Elmer L. Andersen Human Services Building, 540 Cedar St., St. Paul
Minnesota Board on Aging
Address: P.O. Box 64976, Elmer L. Andersen Human Services Building, 540 Cedar St.,St. Paul, MN 55164
Minnesota State Plan on Aging
Minnesota Elder Justice and Advocacy
To report Elder Abuse call the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC) on 1-844-880-1574
Minnesota Support for Caregivers
- Minnesota Board on Aging – Family Caregiving
- Minnesota Board on Aging – Caregiver Consultants
- Minnesota Board on Aging – Caregiver Education
- Minnesota Caregiver Resource Guide
Minnesota Senior Disaster Preparedness
Minnesota Health Care Fraud
Minnesota Long-Term Care Ombudsman
Office of Ombudsman for Long-Term Care
Address: P.O. Box 64971, St. Paul, MN 55164-0971
Toll Free: 800-657-3591
Minnesota Medicaid Elderly & Disabled Waiver Programme
Minnesota Medicare and Insurance Counseling
Minnesota Elderly Nutrition & Wellness
- Minnesota Board on Aging – Senior Nutrition Program
- Minnesota Board on Aging – Wellness
- Minnesota Department of Human Services – Food and Nutrition
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Minnesota Food Assistance Program (MFAP)
Minnesota Prescription Assistance
Minnesota County Offices for Aging
Arrowhead Area Agency on Aging – serves northeastern Minnesota, including Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake and St. Louis Counties.
Address: 221 West First Street, Duluth, MN 55802
Phone: (218) 722-5545
Phone: (800) 232-0707
Central Minnesota Council on Aging – serves central Minnesota, including Benton, Cass, Chisago, Crow Wing, Isanti, Kanabec, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Pine, Sherburne, Stearns, Todd, Wadena, and Wright Counties.
Address: 250 Riverside Avenue North, Suite 300, Sartell, MN 56377
Phone: (320) 253-9349
Dancing Sky Area Agency on Aging – serves northwestern Minnesota, including Becker, Beltrami, Clay, Clearwater, Douglas, Grant, Hubbard, Kittson, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen, Marshall, Norman, Otter Tail, Pennington, Polk, Pope, Red Lake, Roseau, Stevens, Traverse and Wilkin Counties.
Address: 109 South Minnesota Street, Warren, MN 56762
Phone: (218) 745-6733
Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging – serves the Twin Cities metro area, including Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington Counties.
Address: 1265 Grey Fox Road, Suite 2, Arden Hills, MN 55112
Phone: (651) 641-8612
Minnesota Indian Area Agency on Aging – serves four of Minnesota’s reservations, including Bois Forte, Grand Portage, Leech Lake and White Earth.
Address: PO Box 217, Cass Lake, MN 56633
Phone: (218) 335-8585
Minnesota River Area Agency on Aging – serves southwestern Minnesota, including Big Stone, Blue Earth, Brown, Chippewa, Cottonwood, Faribault, Jackson, Kandiyohi, Lac qui Parle, Le Sueur, Lincoln, Lyon, Martin, McLeod, Meeker, Murray, Nicollet, Nobles, Pipestone, Redwood, Renville, Rock, Sibley, Swift, Waseca, Watonwan and Yellow Medicine Counties.
Address: Administrative Office (Mankato), 201 N. Broad St., Suite 102, Mankato, MN 56001
Address: Slayton Office, 1939 Engebretson Ave.Slayton, MN 56172
Phone: (507) 387-1256
Southeastern Minnesota AAA – serves southeastern Minnesota including Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Mower, Olmsted, Rice, Steele, Wabasha and Winona Counties.
Address: 2720 Superior Drive NW, Rochester MN 55901
Phone: (507) 288-6944
National Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- The Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare
- Administration for Community Living
- National Council for Aging Care
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care
- Pioneer Network: Culture Change in Long-Term Care
- The Center for Social Gerontology
Minnesota Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- Minnesota Association of Senior Services
- Minnesota Seniors
- Help Older Adults MN
- Minnesota Department of Human Services – Economic Assistance
- Minnesota Department of Human Services – Health Care
- Minnesota Department of Human Services – Adult mental health
- Minnesota Department of Human Services – Home and community services
- Minnesota Department of Human Services – Indian Elder Desk
- Minnesota Department of Human Services – Nursing homes
Alzheimer’s Organizations & Resources
- Alzheimers Foundation of America
- Alzheimers Association
- Alzheimers Resource Centre
- Minnesota-North Dakota Chapter – Alzheimer’s Association
- Alzheimer’s Disease – Minnesota Department of Health
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s / Minnesota Board on Aging (MBA)
Minnesota Senior Health Studies
- Minnesota Scorecard on Long-Term Services and Supports for Older Adults, People with Physical Disabilities, and Family Caregivers
- America’s Health Rankings – Minnesota