Missouri Aging Statistics & Resource Guide
The Missouri Aging Statistics & Resource Guide contains key information, links and statistics for senior citizens in Missouri. With an aging population and the average cost of care averaging between $22.00 an hour for home care to $5,688 a month for skilled nursing care, Missouri is typically less expensive than the national average. This guide also contains helpful contact information for county offices, Alzheimer’s Disease organizations and government agencies that offer assistance to caregivers and senior citizens.
Missouri Key Statistics
- 23.5% of the Missouri population is aged 60 or over with 11.6% of seniors aged 65+ living alone.
- With no inheritance tax or social security tax, it offers a mixed tax picture for retirees, with the highest income tax set at 5.9% and an average property tax set at $1,026 per $100,000 in home value.
- 37.8% of certified nursing home beds were rated four or five-stars over a three-month period compared to a US national average of 47.3%.
- The median household income for a Missouri senior (65+) is $40,184.
- 210,000 people aged 65 and older are living with Alzheimer’s in Missouri.
Choosing Long Term Care in Missouri
- Missouri Home Care Agencies Directory: The average hourly home care rate in Missouri is $22.00, making Missouri less expensive than the national average ($22.50) for home care.
- Missouri Adult Day Care Directory: The average cost of adult day care in Missouri is $1,777 per month making Missouri more expensive than the national average ($1,625) for adult day care.
- Missouri Assisted Living Directory: The average cost of assisted living in Missouri is $2,881 per month making Missouri less expensive than the national average ($4,051) for assisted living.
- Missouri Skilled Nursing Directory: The average cost of skilled nursing in Missouri is $5,688 per month making Missouri less expensive than the national average ($8,517) for skilled nursing.
Missouri Senior Services
Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
Address: 912 Wildwood, P.O. Box 570, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102
Missouri State Plan on Aging
Missouri Elder Justice and Advocacy
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation of the Elderly and Disabled
To report Elder Abuse call the Adult Abuse Hotline at 1-800-392-0210
Missouri Support for Caregivers
Missouri Senior Disaster Preparedness
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Disaster and Emergency Planning
- Disaster Preparedness Planning Template
Missouri Health Care Fraud
Missouri Long-Term Care Ombudsman
Missouri Medicaid Elderly & Disabled Waiver Programme
Missouri Medicare and Insurance Counseling
Missouri Elderly Nutrition & Wellness
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Aging Adult Nutrition
- Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program
- Food Stamp Program / Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Show Me Falls Free Missouri Coalition
Missouri Prescription Assistance
Missouri County Offices for Aging
Address: 1735 S. Fort Ave, Springfield, MO 65807
Address: 1078 Wolverine, Suite J, Cape Girardeau, MO, 63701
Care Connection for Aging Services
Address: 106 W. Young St., P.O. Box 1078, Warrensburg, MO 64093
Young at Heart Resources
Address: 809 North 13th Street, Albany, MO 64402
Northeast MO AAA
Address: 815 N. Osteopathy, Kirksville, MO 63501
Address: 1121 Bus. Loop 70 E., Ste 2A, Columbia, MO 65201
Mid-America Regional Council AAA
Address: 600 Broadway Ste. 200, Kansas City, MO 64105-1554
Address: 14535 Manchester Rd. St., Louis, MO 63011-3960
St. Louis AAA
Address: 1520 Market St., 4th floor, Rm. 4065, St Louis, MO 63103
Region X AAA
Address: 531 E. 15th. Street, Joplin, MO 64804
National Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- The Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare
- Administration for Community Living
- National Council for Aging Care
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care
- Pioneer Network: Culture Change in Long-Term Care
- The Center for Social Gerontology
Missouri Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Senior & Disability Services
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Adult Day Care Services
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Home and Community Based Services
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Home and Community Based Services Provider Information
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Medicare / Medicaid
- Missouri Senior Legal Helpline
- Missourians Stopping Adult Financial Exploitation (MOSAFE)
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Nursing Homes and Other Care Options
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Helpful Region/County Resources
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Helpful Statewide Resources
- Senior Employment
- Silver Haired Legislature
Alzheimer’s Organizations & Resources
- Alzheimers Foundation of America
- Alzheimers Association
- Alzheimers Resource Centre
- Alzheimers Association – Greater Missouri
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services – Alzheimer’s Information
- Alzheimer’s Disease – University of Missouri
Missouri Senior Health Studies
- Missouri Scorecard on Long-Term Services and Supports for Older Adults, People with Physical Disabilities, and Family Caregivers
- America’s Health Rankings – Missouri