Mississippi Aging Statistics & Resource Guide
The Mississippi Aging Statistics & Resource Guide contains key information, links and statistics for senior citizens in Mississippi. With an aging population and the average cost of care averaging between $18.50 an hour for home care to $7,087 a month for skilled nursing care, Mississippi is typically less expensive than the national average. This guide also contains helpful contact information for county offices, Alzheimer’s Disease organizations and government agencies that offer assistance to caregivers and senior citizens.
Mississippi Key Statistics
- 22.4% of the Mississippi population is aged 60 or over with 11.5% of seniors aged 65+ living alone.
- With a very good income tax environment for retirees, it is one of the most tax friendly states for retirees, with the highest income tax set at 5% and an average property tax set at $862 per $100,000 in home value.
- 44.9% of certified nursing home beds were rated four or five-stars over a three-month period compared to a US national average of 47.3%.
- The median household income for a Mississippi senior (65+) is $47,486.
- 57,000 people aged 65 and older are living with Alzheimer’s in Mississippi.
Choosing Long Term Care in Mississippi
- Mississippi Home Care Agencies Directory: The average hourly home care rate in Mississippi is $18.50, making Mississippi less expensive than the national average ($22.50) for home care.
- Mississippi Adult Day Care Directory: The average cost of adult day care in Mississippi is $1,398 per month making Mississippi less expensive than the national average ($1,625) for adult day care.
- Mississippi Assisted Living Directory: The average cost of assisted living in Mississippi is $3,524 per month making Mississippi less expensive than the national average ($4,051) for assisted living.
- Mississippi Skilled Nursing Directory: The average cost of skilled nursing in Mississippi is $7,087 per month making Mississippi less expensive than the national average ($8,517) for skilled nursing.
Mississippi Senior Services
Mississippi Department of Senior Services
Address: 200 South Lamar St., Jackson, MS 39201
Mississippi State Plan on Aging
Mississippi Elder Justice and Advocacy
- Mississippi Department of Senior Services – Adult Protective Services
- Mississippi Vulnerable Adult Protective Services (APS) Report
Vulnerable Person Abuse Hotline: 844-437-6282
Mississippi Support for Caregivers
Mississippi Senior Disaster Preparedness
Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (MEMA): 866-519-MEMA (6362)
Mississippi Office of Homeland Security: 601-346-1500
Mississippi Poison Control Center: 1-800-222-1222
Mississippi Health Care Fraud
Mississippi Long-Term Care Ombudsman
Mississippi Medicaid Elderly & Disabled Waiver Programme
Mississippi Medicare and Insurance Counseling
Mississippi Elderly Nutrition & Wellness
- Central Mississippi Area Agency on Aging Nutrition Sites
- East Central Area Agency on Aging Nutrition Sites
- Golden Triangle Area Agency on Aging Nutrition Sites
- North Central Area Agency on Aging Nutrition Sites
- South West Mississippi Area Agency on Aging Nutrition Sites
Mississippi Prescription Assistance
Mississippi County Offices for Aging
Address: 100 South Wall Street, Natchez, MS 39120
Address: 220 Power Drive, Batesville, MS 38606
Address: P. O. Box 499, Newton, MS 39345
Address: 10441 Corporate Drive, Ste. 1, Gulfport, MS 39503
Address: P.O. Box 4935, Jackson, MS 39296
Address: P. O. Box 690, Pontotoc, MS 38863
Address: P. O. Box 828, Starkville, MS 39760
Address: P. O. Box 600, Booneville, MS 38829
Address: 28 Industrial Park Blvd, Winona, MS 38967
Address: P. O. Box 1776, Greenville, MS 38702
National Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- The Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare
- Administration for Community Living
- National Council for Aging Care
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care
- Pioneer Network: Culture Change in Long-Term Care
- The Center for Social Gerontology
Mississippi Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- Mississippi Access to Care (MAC) Centers
- Mississippi Department of Senior Services – Services for Seniors
- Mississippi Division of Medicaid, Office of Long Term Care – Elderly and Disabled Waiver Program
- Mississippi Department of Rehabilitation Services – Independent Living Waiver Program
- Mississippi Division of Medicaid, Office of Long Term Care – Assisted Living (AL) Waiver Program
Alzheimer’s Organizations & Resources
- Alzheimers Foundation of America
- Alzheimers Association
- Alzheimers Resource Centre
- Alzheimers Association – Mississippi
- Alzheimers of Mississippi
Mississippi Senior Health Studies
- Mississippi Scorecard on Long-Term Services and Supports for Older Adults, People with Physical Disabilities, and Family Caregivers
- America’s Health Rankings – Mississippi