West Virginia Aging Statistics & Resource Guide
The West Virginia Aging Statistics & Resource Guide contains key information, links and statistics for senior citizens in West Virginia. With an aging population the average cost of care averages between $18,00 an hour for home care to $11,528 a month for skilled nursing care. This guide also contains helpful contact information for county offices, Alzheimer’s Disease organizations and government agencies that offer assistance to caregivers and senior citizens.
West Virginia Key Statistics
- 27.3% of the West Virginia population is aged 60 or over with 13.6% of seniors aged 65+ living alone.
- With reasonable sales taxes and property taxes notably low, it offers a mixed tax picture for retirees, with the highest income tax set at 6.5% and an average property tax set at $615 per $100,000 in home value.
- 35.2% of certified nursing home beds were rated four or five-stars over a three-month period compared to a US national average of 47.3%.
- The median household income for a West Virginia senior (65+) is $35,779.
- 39,000 people aged 65 and older are living with Alzheimer’s in West Virginia.
Choosing Long Term Care in West Virginia
- West Virginia Home Care Agencies Directory: The average hourly home care rate in West Virginia is $18.00, making West Virginia less expensive than the national average ($22.50) for home care.
- West Virginia Adult Day Care Directory: The average cost of adult day care in West Virginia is $1,083 per month making West Virginia less expensive than the national average ($1,625) for adult day care.
- West Virginia Assisted Living Directory: The average cost of assisted living in West Virginia is $3,750 per month making West Virginia less expensive than the national average ($4,051) for assisted living.
- West Virginia Skilled Nursing Directory: The average cost of skilled nursing in West Virginia is $11,528 per month making West Virginia more expensive than the national average ($8,517) for skilled nursing.
West Virginia Senior Services
West Virginia Bureau of Senior Services
Mailing Address: 1900 Kanawha Blvd. East, Charleston, WV 25305
Physical Address: Town Center Mall, 3rd level, Charleston, WV
Phone: (304) 558-3317
Phone: (877) 987-3646
Fax: (304) 558-5609
West Virginia State Plan on Aging
West Virginia Elder Justice and Advocacy
To report suspected Elder Abuse call 1-800-352-6513
Address: 350 Capitol Street, Room 730, Charleston, WV 25301
Ph: (304) 558-0628
Fx: (304) 558-4194
West Virginia Support for Caregivers
West Virginia Senior Disaster Preparedness
- West Virginia Emergency Preparedness
- West Virginia Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- West Virginia Responder Emergency Deployment Information
- West Virginia Bureau for Public Health
West Virginia Health Care Fraud
West Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman
- West Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
- Ombudsman Supervisor and nine Regional Ombudsman
- Becoming an Ombudsman Volunteer
West Virginia Medicaid Elderly & Disabled Waiver Programme
West Virginia Medicare and Insurance Counseling
West Virginia Elderly Nutrition & Wellness
- Disease Prevention and Management
- Food and Fitness
- Food and Fitness Articles Archive
- Health Care Promotion
- Health Promotion Locations
- Older Americans Act Programs/LIFE
West Virginia Prescription Assistance
West Virginia Area Agencies on Aging
Northwestern AAA (Brooke, Calhoun, Doddridge, Gilmer, Hancock, Harrison, Marion, Marshall, Monongalia, Ohio, Pleasants, Ritchie, Tyler, Wetzel, Wirt, Wood)
Address: PO Box 2086 (105 Bridge Street Plaza), Wheeling, WV 26003
WVSC-Metro AAA (Boone, Cabell, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Mason, Mingo, Putnam, Roane, Wayne)
Address: 1400 Ohio Avenue, Suite B, Dunbar, WV 25064
Upper Potomac AAA (Barbour, Berkeley, Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson, Lewis, Mineral, Morgan, Pendleton, Preston, Randolph, Taylor, Tucker, Upshur)
Address: 131 Providence Lane, Petersburg, WV 26847
Appalachian AAA (Braxton, Clay, Fayette, Greenbrier, McDowell, Mercer, Monroe, Nicholas, Pocahontas, Raleigh, Summers, Webster, Wyoming)
Address: 1460 Main Street, Box 2, Princeton, WV 24740
Phone: 304-425-1147; 800-473-1207
National Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- The Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare
- Administration for Community Living
- National Council for Aging Care
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care
- Pioneer Network: Culture Change in Long-Term Care
- The Center for Social Gerontology
West Virginia Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- West Virginia Senior Legal Aid
- West Virginia Consumer Protection
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- West Virginia State Fire Marshal
- West Virginia Caregivers
- West Virginia Strong
Alzheimer’s Organizations & Resources
- Alzheimers Foundation of America
- Alzheimers Association
- Alzheimers Resource Centre
- Alzheimers Association – West Virginia
- West Virginia Chapter – Alzheimer’s Association
West Virginia Senior Health Studies
- West Virginia Scorecard on Long-Term Services and Supports for Older Adults, People with Physical Disabilities, and Family Caregivers
- America’s Health Rankings – West Virginia