Hobbies for Women Over 50 – Amazing Ideas from the Sixty and Me Community
One of the best things about life as we get older is that we finally have a little extra time to do the things we love. Having interesting hobbies keeps our minds and bodies active while we transition into our senior years. This is the time to look into what interests you and what sparks your curiosity.
Do you have a passion for certain activities that you have secretly wanted to do? Do you want to produce magic with paints, wool, or glass? Or maybe you want to create beauty with words and music?
As women, we seem to have a universal desire to express our creativity. We have an insatiable desire to shape order from chaos and to create things that never existed before.
What Are Hobbies
Hobbies are activities you do that are not work-related and that typically are not remunerated. They can take up as little or as much of your time as you wish. You can do them alone, with a loved one, or in a group.
Hobbies shape our personalities, energize, inspire, and sometimes connect us with other like-minded people. They often end up bringing meaning to our lives. Doing something creative or maybe sports-related can relax us and help us unwind.
It can be anything from knitting to paddleboarding. Find the things that interest you and give them a try. You can try several different things and stick with the ones that you are the most passionate about.
So Many Hobbies to Choose From
When I asked the Sixty and Me Community to tell me about their favorite hobbies, the answers were as diverse and fabulous as the thousands upon thousands of women from around the world who shared their passions with me.
Some had eclectic hobbies, others were more traditional. If you are looking for a new hobby, I hope that you find their suggestions intriguing and valuable.
Have a hobby of your own to suggest? Please don’t forget to add it in the comments at the end of this article.
Let’s explore the types of hobbies that women over 50 wrap their hearts around – some of them may surprise you!
Arts and Crafts
- Cooking / Cake Decorating suggested by Marie, Ginger, Regine, Margaret, and Barbara.
- Sewing / Embroidery / Knitting / Quilting / Crocheting / Traditional Felting / Rug Hooking / Beading / Needlepoint / Hand Spinning suggested by Marie, Joan, Christine, Jean, Marian, Toni, Sandy, Laura, Barb, Claudia, Shirley, Jane, Barbara, Jill, and Michelle.
- Gardening / Flower Arranging suggested by Marie, Sheila, Fay, Pat, Linda, Rahimah, Regine, Petula, Barbara, and Rosemarie.
- Scrapbooking / Making Cards / Making Jewellery suggested by Becky, Pat, Phyllis, Kirsten, Toni, Carol, and Ann.
- Stained Glass / Painting / Drawing / Calligraphy / Making Mosaics / Pottery suggested by Celeste, Ho Oy, Kirsten, Janet, Karen, Barbara, and Jill.
- Decorating suggested by Pam and Regine.
Sports and Movement
- Swimming / Yoga / Jazzercise / Tai Chi / Cycling /Aqua Aerobics suggested by TC, Liz, Regine, Jennifer, Barbara, Char, Barbara, and Rosemarie.
- Playing Golf suggested by Ginger.
- Dancing suggested by Pam, Hineora, Regine, and Rosemarie.
- Stand Up Paddling suggested by Jan.
- Horseback Riding / Dressage suggested by Gillian, Janet, Kate, and Sandra.
- Walking on the Beach suggested by Liz and Gabriela.
- Dog Walking / Dog Training / Pets suggested by Ann, Barbara and Ann.
Traveling and Exploring
- Shopping / Flea Markets / Garage Sales suggested by Marie, TC, Linda, Petula, and Sara Jane.
- Visiting Friends and Family / Entertaining suggested by Barbara, Rosalia, Linda, Pam, and Pat.
- Visiting Libraries and Museums suggested by Rosalia.
- Traveling / Exploring Parks suggested by Rosalia, Jean, Barbara, and Jill.
- Sailing / Camping / Hiking suggested by Pam, TC, Regine, Char, and Barb.
- Photography / Bird Watching / Wildlife suggested by Celeste, Marian, Rahimah, Liv, Debra, and Barbara.
- Singing / Writing Songs suggested by Bridget, Janice, Liz, Carolina, and Marietta.
- Playing Music / Listening to Music suggested by Linda, Janice, Carolina, Regine, and Karen.
- Watching TV / Watching Movies / Surfing the Internet / Playing on iPad suggested by Averyl, Kathleen, Toni, and Sonia.
- Journaling / Writing suggested by Deborah, Barb, and Carolina.
- Armchair Traveling suggested by Jan.
- Crosswords / Sudoku suggested by Linda and Marina.
- Reading suggested by Marie, Barbara, Rosalia, Becky, Linda, Bridget, Averyl, Teresa, TC, Pat, Toni, Regine, Barb, Jane, Ann, Esperanza, Barbara, and Barbara.
- Learning a New Language suggested by Carolina.
- Genealogy suggested by Chris.
- Volunteering suggested by Ginger and Diana.
- Spiritual Activities suggested by Bea.
- Amateur Drama / Community Radio suggested by Clarissa and Mary.
And then we had Deirdre who said:
“Friends and family, dressmaking, sewing, knitting, gardening, cooking, interior design, decorating, reading, involvement in classic car club and classic cars, our motorhome and traveling, learning new skills and crafts, on-line courses, and anything that takes my fancy.”
I love the fact that Deirdre said that her hobbies were anything that took her fancy. For me, that’s what a hobby should be.
Do you see any hobbies for women over 50 on the list that you want to try? Are there any other hobbies that you would like to recommend to the rest of the community? Please add your comments below. Let’s have a conversation!