Massachusetts Aging Statistics & Resource Guide
The Massachusetts Aging Statistics & Resource Guide contains key information, links and statistics for senior citizens in Massachusetts. With an aging population and the average cost of care averaging between $27.20 an hour for home care to $13,212 a month for skilled nursing care, Massachusetts is typically more expensive than the national average. This guide also contains helpful contact information for county offices, Alzheimer’s Disease organizations and government agencies that offer assistance to caregivers and senior citizens.
Massachusetts Key Statistics
- 22.9% of the Massachusetts population is aged 60 or over with 12% of seniors aged 65+ living alone.
- Massachusetts does not tax Social Security but all other income is taxed making it not very tax friendly for retirees. Income tax is set at a flat rate of 5.1% and an average property tax is set at $1,294 per $100,000 in home value.
- 51.1% of certified nursing home beds were rated four or five-stars over a three-month period compared to a US national average of 47.3%.
- The median household income for a Massachusetts senior (65+) is $47,486.
- 130,000 people aged 65 and older are living with Alzheimer’s in Massachusetts.
Choosing Long Term Care in Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Home Care Agencies Directory: The average hourly home care rate in Massachusetts is $27.20, making Massachusetts more expensive than the national average ($22.50) for home care.
- Massachusetts Adult Day Care Directory: The average cost of adult day care in Massachusetts is $1,473 per month making Massachusetts less expensive than the national average ($1,625) for adult day care.
- Massachusetts Assisted Living Directory: The average cost of assisted living in Massachusetts is $5,640 per month making Massachusetts more expensive than the national average ($4,051) for assisted living.
- Massachusetts Skilled Nursing Directory: The average cost of skilled nursing in Massachusetts is $13,212 per month making Massachusetts more expensive than the national average ($8,517) for skilled nursing.
Massachusetts Senior Services
Massachusetts Government Health & Social Services – Seniors
Executive Office of Elder Affairs
Address: One Ashburton Place, 5 floor, Boston, MA 02108
Phone: (617) 727-7750
Toll Free: (800) 243-4636
Fax: (617) 727-9368
Massachusetts State Plan on Aging
Massachusetts Elder Justice and Advocacy
- Executive Office of Elder Affairs (EOEA) – Elder Abuse
- Elder Abuse Online Reporting User Guide
- MA Adult Protective Services Report
To report Elder Abuse call the Adult Abuse Hotline at (800) 922-2275
To connect to local elder service agency: (800) 243-4636
Massachusetts Support for Caregivers
- Massachusetts Family Caregiver Support Program
- Caregiver help and information
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
Massachusetts Senior Disaster Preparedness
Massachusetts Health Care Fraud
Massachusetts Senior Medicare Patrol Program
Address: Elder Services of the Merrimack Valley, 280 Merrimack Street, Suite 400, Lawrence, MA 01843
For information: email@example.com
For help: firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on volunteering: email@example.com
Massachusetts Long-Term Care Ombudsman
Massachusetts Medicaid Elderly & Disabled Waiver Programme
Massachusetts Medicare and Insurance Counseling
Massachusetts Elderly Nutrition & Wellness
Massachusetts Prescription Assistance
Massachusetts County Offices for Aging
Elder Services of Berkshire County
Address: 877 South Street, Pittsfield, MA 01201
Phone: (413) 499-0524
Greater Springfield Senior Services, Inc.
Address: 66 Industry Avenue, Springfield, MA 01104
Central Massachusetts Agency on Aging
Address: 360 West Boylston Street, West Boylston, MA 01583
Phone: (800) 244-3032
Address: 49 Blackburn Center, Gloucester, MA 01930
Phone: (978) 281-1750
Greater Lynn Senior Services
Address: 8 Silsbee Street, Lynn, MA 01901
Phone: (781) 599-0110
Somerville-Cambridge Elder Services
Address: 61 Medford Street, Somerville, MA 02143
Phone: (617) 628-2601
Minuteman Senior Services
Address: 26 Crosby Drive, Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: (781) 272-7177
Address: 307 Waverley Oaks Road, Waltham, MA 02452
Phone: (617) 926-4100
Baypath Elder Services
Address: 33 Boston Post Road West, Marlborough, MA 01752
Phone: (508) 573-7200
HESSCO- Health & Social Services Consortium, Inc.
Address: 1 Merchant Street, Sharon, MA 02067
Phone: (781) 784-4944
South Shore Elder Services Inc.
Address: 1515 Washington Street, Braintree, MA 02184
Phone: (781) 848-3910
Old Colony Planning Council Area Agency on Aging
Address: 70 School Street, Brockton, MA 02301
Phone: (508) 583-1833
Coastline Elderly Services, Inc.
Address: 1646 Purchase Street, New Bedford, MA 02740
Phone: (508) 999-6400
Elder Services of Merrimack Valley
Address: 280 Merrimack Street, Lawrence, MA 01843
Phone: (978) 683-7747
Boston Commission on Affairs of the Elderly
Address: 1 City Hall Square, Boston, MA 02201
Phone: (617) 635-4366
Bristol Elder Services, Inc
Address: 1 Father DeValles Blvd, Fall River, MA 02723
Phone: (508) 675-2101
Elder Services of Cape Cod and the Islands
Address: 68 Route 134, South Dennis, MA 02660
Phone: (508) 394-4630
Address: 101 Munson Street, Greenfield, MA 01301
Phone: (413) 773-5555
Phone: (978) 544-2259
Highland Valley Elder Services
Address: 320 Riverside Drive, Suite B, Florence, MA 01062
Phone: (413) 586-2000
Address: 4 Valley Mill Rd, Holyoke, MA 01040
Mystic Valley Elder Services, Inc.
Address: 300 Commercial Street, Suite 19, Malden, MA 02148
Phone: (781) 324-7705
North Shore Elder Services, Inc.
Address: 300 Rosewood Drive, Danvers, MA 01923
Phone: (978) 750-4540
National Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- The Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare
- Administration for Community Living
- National Council for Aging Care
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care
- Pioneer Network: Culture Change in Long-Term Care
- The Center for Social Gerontology
Massachusetts Healthcare, Caregiving & Senior Living Resources
- Massachusetts Government Health & Social Services
- Executive Office of Elder Affairs
- Reporting Elder Financial Abuse & Fraud
- In-Home Services
- Senior Housing
- Resources for Elders at the Attorney General’s Office
- Age-Friendly Massachusetts Action Plan
Alzheimer’s Organizations & Resources
- Alzheimers Foundation of America
- Alzheimers Association
- Alzheimers Resource Centre
- Massachusetts/New Hampshire Alzheimers Chapter
- Dementia Friendly Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Age- and Dementia Friendly Integration Toolkit
Massachusetts Senior Health Studies
- Massachusetts Scorecard on Long-Term Services and Supports for Older Adults, People with Physical Disabilities, and Family Caregivers
- America’s Health Rankings – Massachusetts