What Political Issues for Seniors Should the 2016 Presidential Debates Cover?
I don’t know about you, but, I am so excited that the first Presidential Debate is just around the corner. Despite the fact that this election has been a complete mess – and that both of the major candidates are mistrusted and disliked – this year, our decision matters more than ever.
I’m not going to go into the pros and cons of each candidate here. There are plenty of TV channels that will “Go there” and try to give you a “Fair and balanced” perspective on the election. Instead, I would like to get your opinion on the issues that relate specifically to the women of our generation.
Specifically, I would love to ask you what political issues for seniors you would like to see covered at the debates. Regardless of who you are supporting this November, I hope that we can have a calm, reasoned discussion of the issues that matter for us.
We Need to Raise the Political Discussion Up a Level
As a side note, I personally believe that the efforts from both sides of the political divide to demonize their opponents are unproductive.
We all want to make the world a better place for our grandkids. The great majority of us want to see America become a fairer, safer place. We simply differ in our opinions on how to make this happen.
What Political Issues Matter Most to Boomers This Year?
So, all that said, let’s start a conversation. Here are a few of the potential political issues that the next President of the United States will influence. Please join the conversation in the comments section at the end of this article and let us know which of these issues you would like to see discussed at the 2016 Presidential Debates.
- How can Social Security be improved for the benefit of all generations?
- What can be done to protect older Americans from nursing care abuse?
- How can Medicare be made simpler and more cost effective?
- Where do each of the candidates stand on the issue of student debt?
- Is there anything that the government can or should do to help caregivers?
- Should the government help more with long-term care costs?
- How can age discrimination in the workplace be addressed?
- How can we accelerate research on Alzheimer’s and other age-related illnesses?
These questions are obviously just a starting point. I’m sure that you will come up with many more! Now, let’s get a conversation started!
What political issues for seniors would you like to see covered at the upcoming 2016 Presidential Debates? Are you concerned about Social Security, Medicare, caregiving, nursing home abuse, age discrimination or something else? Please join the conversation.